Re: Epoxy Ratio Query

Subject: Re: Epoxy Ratio Query
From: Martin J.Tuck <102034.2747@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 21:00:56
Epoxy Ratio Query ...

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your E-mail although it looks as though you sent it to the whole
forum as well which in itself created more mail! Hence this reply will also be
copied to the Forum as its useful info.

I actually started the project back in England - so that's why I have the
Ampreg. U.S kits I understand are supplied with U.S made Aeropoxy which I was
kindly sent to me by Roger at Europa in Florida when I ran out with only a bit
more to do (layup wise). I believe the reason is firstly cost, it seems
pointless exporting U.K materials when there is a bountiful supply in the U.S
and secondly, Ampreg has to be shipped as a 'hazardous material' - obviously it
must contain something the shippers don't like - so there is extra cost there
too.

Aeropoxy is shipped non-hazardous and is amber in color (although once mixed you
wouldn't know it). It is apparently compatible with Ampreg, ie. will bond to it.

The mix ratio is slightly different from Ampreg (Ampreg is 100:25 by weight),
Aeropoxy being 100:28 by weight and 3 to 1 by volume. I still use my trusty
wooden balance (as described in the tailplane manual) slightly adjusted for the
new ratio.

As mentioned before in a previous forum message, I did use an epoxy pump
(non-adjustable) and found it to be not all that brilliant - having to check
each dispense on my scales to top up the hardener. Eventually I went back to
using the balance - although I think my money would have been better spent on a
good set of electronic scales.

I assume that you are a U.S builder and am surprised that you didn't get a copy
of the Aeropoxy leaflet. You might want to contact Europa in Lakeland and get
them to send you a copy it does contain some important safety information as
well as a good description of its properties.

Let me know where you are located.

Regards

Martin Tuck
Wichita, Kansas