Gas water heaters in workshops????

Subject: Gas water heaters in workshops????
From: Tony Renshaw <renshaw@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 20:28:50
EXCERPT
"In planning the changes I need to make to my workspace I suddenly realized
>that not only do I need to take into account the "fumes and dust" aspect of
>this project, I also have a major liability in my work space...natural gas
>waterheater!
>
>Although I don't want to make major changes to a house I will be selling in
>a few years, visions of the pilot light lighting off something that my
>neighbors might be talking about for years left me scratching my head on
>what to do about this little problem."
COMMENT
I seriously looked into using natural gas, or bottled gas as a heating
sourcre for my workshop as it is already plumbed.. Apart from the potential
bomb problem with a continual ignition source, you need to consider that the
net residuals of burning these gases are heat and water vapour. i.e. your
relative humidity will go up. What to do about this. You probably need to
consider a new water heater or relocating your workshop, which I appreciate
is impossible. You could encapulate it in a booth that you ventilate to the
outside though. If you keep your volatile liquids away from the garage until
use, this will minimise the chances of a problem. If your garage is attached
to the house like mine is, you should consider doing this anyway, as you
might compromise your domestic household insurance if you need to claim.
This is a conservative approach, however I know how insurance companies will
try and weasel out of paying.

>Happy problem solving
Regards
Tony Renshaw