Re: Smoke Ports in Doors

Subject: Re: Smoke Ports in Doors
From: Martin W. Berner <mberner@wow.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 08:31:52
mark line wrote:

> > Plastic Paper clips, Fletner Strips?
>
> The only time I have seen these strips is on fighter aircraft, looking at a
> cross section they appear as a T shape on the trailing edge of the
> taileron control surface. The arms of the T appearing above and below the
> trailing edge an equal distance. As I'm a propulsion techician I asked someone
in the know and they tell me that the T section interupts the
boundery airflow over the trailing edge and just helps with control
response,stablity and feed back. Plastic paper clips, I think are just
plastic edge binders for holding loose leaf paper. A great idea for just
giving the theory a try.

        And if you read the factory newsletter of December 1993, No 6 page 1
& 2 you will see why it was necessary to thicken the tab trailing edges !

Martin