White stick (gps)

Subject: White stick (gps)
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 19:16:05
>>The White Stick
(Ground Proximity Sensor),is a pole 1m or more long pivoting from the
undercarriage arm <<

I Like It! :-)
 I've just had an hour doing circuits. You're absolutely right about everything
disappearing in the flare. I had the same trouble with the Glasair, which has an
even longer nose. You just have to get used to using the periferal vision a bit.
The technique I settled down to using with GK Whip is to keep a trickle of power
on, fly the last 50/100 feet at 55 kts. and cut the power immediately after the
flare. Speed decays another 5 kts. in the flare and it quits flying as soon as
you cut the power. Leave the power on longer and it floats as long as you want.
Just remember never push the stick forward after flaring. Unless you overshoot
of course.
Graham