Re: Ripples & wondering

Subject: Re: Ripples & wondering
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 17:11:27
>>t's still a lot stronger than doped fabric so is probably only of cosmetic
importance.......... although one does wonder!<<

The thing that continues to amaze and reassure me is the way the most awful
looking glass Vari EZes and Long EZs still seem to fly OK. They even crash and
get rebuilt and still fly OK. When you watch people like Dick Rutan Mike
Melville, Klaus Savier and so on pulling silly amounts of G and flying at silly
speeds through rough air.  The Berkut, a beefed up Long EZ, regularly pulled 9
in airshow routines. I wonder why I worry every time I fly through a thermal.
Never used to bother me in the glider.

The other side of the "glass coin" is that it's all too EZ to build a heavy
composite aircraft. You have to think lightness from day one. Jon Tye did it, so
can you! If it ain't day 1 it's too late ;-)

Graham