Re: Ripples & wondering

Subject: Re: Ripples & wondering
From: John Grant <grantdes@ayla.avnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 21:03:45

>Makes one wonder where they will appear when significant air time is
>accumulated - and if there is anything more than a cosmetic effect, eh
>John ?
>
>gemin

I wonder about a lot of things with the design, but voicing them puts me
with the whingers so I'll keep them to myself.

Being in electro/mechanical design I handle a fair amount of Epoxy/Glass
laminate used for printed circuits and although the stock material is
perfectly flat, smooth and very strong, even that will bow if loaded for any
length of time.  It's not surprising then that the very thin skins of the
fuselage will also creep under high loads such as when resting on relatively
small area supports.

This yielding under pressure with time and thermal cycling was the basis of
my engine mount/cockpit module attachment concerns voiced in early issues of
the mag.

It's still a lot stronger than doped fabric so is probably only of cosmetic
importance.......... although one does wonder!

Regards,

John Grant