Re: Fuel tanks/Glass Tissue?

Subject: Re: Fuel tanks/Glass Tissue?
From: Tony Renshaw <renshaw@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 18:45:51
Fuel Tank Querie:

Allan Hall wrote:
>"There are two issues here which keep getting confused, the best thing is
to stop
>thinking of the plastic tank as a rigid entity and imagine it more as a large
>square plastic bag with strong seams! etc.etc.etc.

Glass Tissue Querie for conceiling the weave,
 with a negligible gain in weight ofset with less filler:

I know I need to check this out later in my building, but what is the
feeling about standard fuel drains adapted and fitted to the tank? I know of
one Australian builder who is fitting them so that they hang down beneath
the fuselage! I don't approve of this location for its negative crashworthiness.
 Has any of the completed aircraft been fitted with these drains? If so what
type was used and where on the tank were they fitted? Also where can they be
sourced? I suppose Aircraft Spruce and Specialty is as good as anywhere to
start.

Whilst I'm at it, has anyone considered using "glass tissue"as the final
layup which can them become sacrificial in the sanding process. This is
often the process used by the fibreglass workshops inthe  airline industry,
however our application may prohibit this option

Peel Plying all Surfaces:
. I know using Peel Ply over all glassed surfaces is also an option, but are
there any negatives? Silk is the standard form of Peel Ply my employers
workshop uses and if anyone is interested in any applicable spec, I will
gladly find out.  Penny for you thoughts.

Plumbing for Nav Lights:
I have been searching the archived messages for references but maybe in the
interim someone who knows how its done might be able to briefly explain it?

 Thanks from the Aussie connection.
Tony Renshaw Builder No. 236.(or thereabouts)