Reading past mail

Subject: Reading past mail
From: Peter Thomas <100335.3566@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 16:29:51
Mike Newton wrote..
>>To avoid repeating questions others have already asked I wish to download<<
>>the existing mail archives ( as encouraged in a recent e-mail ! )<<
>>Is there an easier way of doing it other than to download each message<<
>>independently, and then save them all to disk ?<<

Hi Mike

You can get the Europa list server to send you archived messages by sending an
e-mail to the request e-mail address, (europa-request@avnet.co.uk). The subject
does not matter but the body of the message must contain the words...

get europa europa.9602

This command will retrieve all message for Feb 96. If you wanted September 95
you would send...

get europa europa.9509

etc, etc you get the idea

(Please remember to use the request address not the normal list address)

All messages from July last year when the list started up until Feb this year
are stored at the ftp site ....

ftp.avnet.co.uk

The file you need is called allmsgs.zip. It is in the pub/europa directory.
It is a dBase IV file of all past messages without the e-mail header info. This
will let you sort and filter as you wish using any database (Access, Paradox
etc)

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes

Peter Thomas

PS Personally I would prefer you asked your questions again anyway. This is
exactly why the list was set up. The list currently gets 2 or 3 new subscribers
a day, some are beginners, but others are experts and I would welcome any new
input from them even if the subject has been discussed before.