OS wars (off-topic! was: Anodizing bits)

Subject: OS wars (off-topic! was: Anodizing bits)
From: Rowland & Wilma Carson <rowil@gn.apc.org>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 1996 19:24:41
Graham - you wrote:

>BTW I didn't get to read "John Bean's missive" my machine had another accursed
>GPF fault "caused by CSNav" or so it claimed. It lost about 30 postings.
>I'm fed
>up with Windoze. I curse Apple for making the classic Betamax mistake and not
>licensing Mac.

No need to keep cursing your earlier bad judgement :-) Apple Macs are
_still_ available and you can buy one anytime. They're also cheaper to own
than a equivalently equipped PC (even neglecting the cost of paracetamol).

Apple _have_ now licensed the Mac OS - you can also buy Mac clones now if
you prefer.

Finally, the VHS-Beta analogy is a poor one because clearly you couldn't
borrow your mate's VHS tapes and play them on your Beta machine; Macs have
been able to read & write mess-dos discs for many years. (For example, just
recently Alizon sent me a soft-copy of the builders list in WordPerfect on
a PC disc - I've never used WP and I only have a Mac here, but I was able
to read the file OK.)

Sorry to clog up the Europa list with off-topic stuff.

cheers

Rowland

PS - You know those "Intel inside" TV ads - did you realise they were
actually done on a Mac?

... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...