Re: Trailing Edge Finish

Subject: Re: Trailing Edge Finish
From: Graham E Laucht <graham@ukavid.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 01:02:29
In message <960206224844_100421.2123_BHG33-1@CompuServe.COM>, Graham
Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com> writes
>The current opinion on trailing edges seems to be that they should be square,
>not rounded. There is even a  figure mentioned for maximum thickness but I
>can't
>remember what it is or where I read it.

Sharp trailing edges to control surfaces in particular can lead to
unpredictable handling response. Blunting the edges has the effect of
"heavying" the controls and apart from being a whole sight easier to
make eliminates a possible later concern. Sharp edges are flutter prone.

Remember the initial flight test responses with YURO's elevator which
was solved initially by attaching a plastic binding clip over the edge
to effect a blunting, thus eliminating the peculiar hysterisis.

See Darrol Stinton's chapter on Control Surfaces in his "Design of an
Aeroplane" for a better explanation.
--
Graham E Laucht