Re: Trailing Edge Finish

Subject: Re: Trailing Edge Finish
From: Martin J.Tuck <102034.2747@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 21:06:49
Trailing Edge Finish:

Last week you wrote <<On the trailing edges on the bottom side of the stabilator
there is the area where the top and bottom meet.  The bottom has a curve.
Should you finish this so there is no curve or merely fill the weave in as in
other places? >>

I don't recall you getting an answer to this so I will tell you what I have done

By trailing edge curve I assume you mean the trailing edge closeout - that
little joggle where the top an bottom skins meet. If that is what you mean, yes
I have filled mine - when I filled the rest the surface with filler. You might
want to note that it is tempting to sand it down to a nice 'knife' edge. You
might want to check previous correspondance explaining why you shouldn't but
suffice to say that a nice sharp edge like that will probably result in flutter.

It was recommended that all trailing edges (flaps and ailerons too) should be
about 1/8th inch thick - rounded I guess to smooth the appearance. We ought to
seek a directive on this from the factory as I think its quite an important
point ... are you out there Roger in Florida? Or someone from the factory?

Hope the wing building is progressing well.

Regards

Martin Tuck
Wichita, Kansas
U.S.A