Re: Rotax FlyDat

Subject: Re: Rotax FlyDat
From: Graham E Laucht <graham@ukavid.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 13:51:21
In message <960119000532_100421.2123_BHG61-1@CompuServe.COM>, Graham
Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com> writes
>We have just had a rather hurried message via Europa from Nigel Beale, our
>Rotax
>distributor that the max EGT of the 912F is 850 deg C. Yesterday he told us
>verbally that 880 was absolute max 860 max for normal running. Our engine is a
>912 UL. What I want to know is what are we supposed to do about it anyway? As
>understand it the only way is to change the main jet or metering needle. As it
>happens our EGTs are running 860 or so at full throttle and 5100rpm. Does this
>mean we have the wrong needle? The balance tubes are correctly placed close to
>the air filters.

Be careful to compare like with like, density altitude must be brought
into the equation. For instance if you were doing your air testing on a
1030mb 5degC day you will way off standard day especially if you were
operating at lower altitudes. Most of the flyable days these past weeks
have been pretty non standard where the "sea level" has been a few
thousand feet up.

Aside from that check you haven't got manifold airleaks, low fuel
pressure or a too fine set prop any one of which will push up EGTs.
One also assumes the probes are in the right position.
--
Graham E Laucht