Rotax FlyDat

Subject: Rotax FlyDat
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 19:05:32
We have just had a rather hurried message via Europa from Nigel Beale, our Rotax
distributor that the max EGT of the 912F is 850 deg C. Yesterday he told us
verbally that 880 was absolute max 860 max for normal running. Our engine is a
912 UL. What I want to know is what are we supposed to do about it anyway? As I
understand it the only way is to change the main jet or metering needle. As it
happens our EGTs are running 860 or so at full throttle and 5100rpm. Does this
mean we have the wrong needle? The balance tubes are correctly placed close to
the air filters.
The only Europa 912 I've spoken to is Peter Kember who says his EGTs are around
750 C. Why so different? The only apparent difference I can think of is that we
have colder air at the Carb inlets and .024" plug gaps. Peter has an irritating
problem with his Fly Dat engine instrument. Early on he briefly exceeded the rev
limit of 5800. Fly Dat now tells him to have the engine serviced for 30 seconds
everytime he starts the engine. The only way to stop it is download the FlyDat,
which apparently has to be be done by Rotax. Anyone know the software or
whatever is needed to download?

Graham