Turbulator tape

Subject: Turbulator tape
From: Ian Seager <ians@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 01:09:26
I have seen some (laminar flow) gliders with turb tape on the underside of
the wings, the pilots said that it was to increase performance (OK so they
wouldn't put it there to decrease it I know). But they didn't know why it
should work...can anyone offer a simple explanation? If it works on a
glider with laminar flow would it work on a Europa wing? What about the
other tricks that glider pilots with glass machines use, ie taping the
aileron/wing root/rudder etc?
Happy sanding
Ian

Ian Seager FLYER Magazine, The Little Theatre St Michaels Place, Bath BA1 1SF
Tel: 01225 481440 Fax: 01225 481262