Rotax 912 cooling

Subject: Rotax 912 cooling
From: Ron Swinden <100776.2633@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 20:19:37
First of all congtrats in Spades to Graham on his first flights hope all the
others are as good. However, from that account can anyone tell me any sense or
logic in not having thermostatic control of the coolant. If Graham is running
warm this weather what happens when he goes to the  South of France in mid
summer. All cars have excess cooling capacity and a thermostat to keep them up
to temperature, it is simple and works well the engine temperature is fixed at
the optimum, perfect. I fitted a stat (not fitted as standard) to my Kitfox 582
Rotax and it controlled beautifully,  warmed up much quicker and then stayed on
the button whatever the weather or engine load. Can some one tell me please why
such a feature is not standard on all liquid cooled aircraft engines??? The 912
is part aircooled I know but that surely cannot be a valid reason for not
controling that part of the system that we can control?
Ron S No33.