Re: Europa Flight Simulation

Subject: Re: Europa Flight Simulation
From: Graham Clarke <gemin@cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 1995 12:16:50
---From Gemini - The FTP access info was posted back on Dec.9th in relation
to the Europa parts database - but it rapidly disappeared from view in
the deluge of messages we have had since.

The Fltsim model was posted by Ted Gladstone and self in response to
observations about it's possible use as a colour scheme generator. The
resolution if a bit low for this it turns out 1.2 inches. The flight
dynamic model has hardly been touched, so users should experiment using
the Design Aircraft facility which Flight Shop places in the main menu of
FS5.  We will post our own findings soon, but try some of these.

Engines menu:
                Engines      1
                Power        90 hp.
                prop         fixed
                Prop.High    2500   (no provision for gearbox in the sim)
                Prop dia     72
                Engine coords  -40,0,+5 in.

Aerodynamics menu

                Mach max  .370  (haven't changed it)
                0 flap stall  50 kts
                f.flap stall  40
                Gear drag     .06
                Flap mom.     .98
                Gear mom.      0
                all Stabilities   3.0

This seems to give correct cruises speeds and landing and approach speeds
but stability is a bit wishy washy.

Probably the best "fun" way to fly it, is hit the S key for spot plane
mode having put the spot plane on the stern, 100 ft back, same height and
set the response to "fast". But you will still have to cope with the fact
that the spot plane does not keep station too well, and leads one to
overcontrol. This can be disastrous in the landing phase. Needs someone
with real experience to trim this. Peter C please ?

gemin