Fin antenna

Subject: Fin antenna
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 20:07:33
Reply to Graham Edward Laucht

Your remarks re antennae are fascinating. In my experience 1/2 wave dipoles work
well in plastic aeroplanes, I/ve fitted several and all work well. I could
recieve London Volmet from west abeam of Paris at 5000 ft. I always checked them
with a VSWR meter not knowing about the auto tuning capabilities of the
transmitter. Did get very variable results ratio wise, I must admit but never
worse than 2.5 :1. It would seem that the benefits of the flatter radiation
pattern of the dipole does help. It would be nice to try an antenna that was
really optimised as you describe.

Now, I have a question, Alan Hall showed me his transponder antenna, which was
1/2 wave dipole on the fuselage side. Is there any health risk from the
radiation emmitted by TXponders?

Graham, in sipping single malt whisky mode, (birthday yesterday, and someone
real kind gave me a bottle of Singleton's. :-) No relation, sadly