Laptops?

Subject: Laptops?
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 20:09:35
Reply to To Breitenbach

I can't argue with much of what you say, Tom, but I still have the feeling that
"Glass Cockpit" is the way to go. I agree analog instruments are easier to scan.

However a dedicated Glass Panel would not need much in the way of memory.
Certainly no hard or floppy disc, except perhaps for moving map.
We have one simple engine management computer in our Europa giving six pages of
digital data and audible warning when any parameter goes outside limits. It
gives us oil pressure and temperature, CHT, EGT, Fuel flow and RPM. We have
retained an analog Rev Counter.
It would be good to have digital presentation of things like density altitude,
rate of climb glide angle and so on. Simple to do.
I agree that displays are still a problem. Sky Force are developing a Colour
Moving Map GPS which should be available next year. Sounds exciting.
Graham