Re: Instrument Panel

Subject: Re: Instrument Panel
From: Graham Clarke <gemin@cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 20:09:26
"what about a laptop?"

This has been my line of thought having been "brought up" in that part of
avionics.  I have done a trial mount of the laptop (weight 8lbs). It so
happens you can use the "engine instrument" bottom recess to mount it
vertically in a closed position so the normal panel can still be seen.
Opening the display upwards then places it over the normal (backup)
instruments, if you have any and you can use some tilt to mitigate
against ammbient light. The central tunnel makes an ideal mouse platform.

The two major difficulties are a} suitable set of sensors with digital
outputs. b) screen brightness (try taking your laptop outside during
daylight. They are pretty poor even on an overcast day). I can't see a
dark version of the canopy being approved. So we really have to wait for
some better technology as we can't lug crt's about.

Mounted as described the leg room is restricted and you have to have the
stick back as you fold it. But if you are prepared to dismemeber the lap
top, I see no reason why one should not separate the display, and stow
the base/keyboard bit somewhere else - the pilot at least is not likely
to be typing in flight.  Though your navigator accessing and displaying
satellite weather picture before your eyes would be a nice touch.

gemin