Re: Recommended Reading

Subject: Re: Recommended Reading
From: Rowland Carson <rowil@gn.apc.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 20:41:23
Simon Townsend wrote:

>How about a non-800 number we can call from outside US?

---From most places in UK, you _should_ now be able to call US 1-800 numbers
(although not for free!). Try it and see - you should get a recorded
announcement saying that you will be charged for the call if you go ahead
with it, and giving you the opportunity to hang up if you wish.

This is a relatively recent development, and I think it has been aired in
the uk.telecom newsgroup quite a bit. I am sure I once got through to an
800 number in USA, years ago, shortly after they started to become popular
(maybe that was a loophole that got plugged), but every time I've tried
since it's not been possible - until just recently.

cheers

Rowland

... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...