Cowlings etc

Subject: Cowlings etc
From: Allan Hall <100255.2004@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 1995 17:43:26
Reply to Graham Singleton,

I tend to agree on cowling air flow, would probably work great if silencer
assembly wasn't in the way. 10 knots more- WOW! just saved me dumping my 912 and
buying a 914 when available!!<G>

Oil tank can probably be made to fit as suggested, just rec'd drawings for
support bracket from Andy Draper today. I'll construct bracket as plans and see
what trial fit looks like then.

My main reason for fitting oil tank now is to ascertain the position of and then
fit the two inspection covers to the cowling before I paint fuselage.

The coolant level inspection flap is shown sited over the coolant filler cap on
the engine, IMHO the inspection flap should be over the overflow bottle, so that
the level in overflow bottle could be checked (as on a car?).  Otherwise, if the
overflow bottle is mounted higher than engine filler cap, then because overflow
bottle is bottom fed, all of the overflow bottle's contents would be lost when
engine filler cap is removed to check level. Help! I'm confused..............

Regarding NACA scoops, G-ELSA had two side scoops fitted to provide fresh air to
cabin, I remember reading that they worked too well and nearly blew pilots head
off! I know that they were both bunged shut with blue foam for a lot of the test
flying. I was thinking of making some smaller ducts (2/3rds size) with
adjustable outlets.  Any suggestions / observations most welcome.

Allan J Hall  #177-Nearly finished sanding :-)