Estimated cost to build Europa

Subject: Estimated cost to build Europa
From: Douglas Wagner <dwagner@phc.thegap.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 21:42:34
Hi:
W & R Carson and Steve Eberhart asked for details of my estimated build
cost. Here they are.

Keep in mind I have not started building. And I've sourced everything in
the UK. Prices include VAT.

Some builders my feel my labor charge is unjustified. In my view this must
be included to arrive at realistic price. (If a builder is so well off he
doesn't need to recoup the cost at some time, good luck to him). I don't
mean to imply I believe I should be paid for everything I do. That even a
hobby should pay. If the hobby costs a few grand fine. But this one cost
serious money and I for one can't affort to let a large slice of that go
out the window. And what about the next project. Eventually I'll tire of
the Europa's relatively poor performance and want to move up to something
faster, a Glasair III perhaps.

The painting and upholstery is done professionally because a amateur finish
would reduce the sale price.

I've managed to reduce the first estimate by a few thousand. And by buying
in the US I may be able to reduce it more. I'll pass on better prices when
I find them.

Have a good day: Douglas Wagner

Type:   Item:   Total (incl VAT):

Stage 1 empennage       3,442.75
Stage 2 wings   4,641.25
Stage 3 fuselage        6,462.50

Powerplant      Subaru 118 hp   6,462.00
        Fitting kit     2,937.50
        overflow bottle 39.95
        rectifier/regulator     41.13
        slipper clutch  323.13
        vacuum pump     675.63

Propeller       electric, variable speed        1,997.50

Instruments     altimeter       199.75
        air speed       141.00
        vertical speed  129.25
        turn and slip   282.00
        gyro horizon, RCA22-7   625.10
        directional gyro, RCA-11A-8     559.30
        standby compass 70.50
        Westach hour meter 2A10 41.42

Avionics        Terra TX760D Comm       928.25
        Terra TRT250D Transponder       1,028.13
        Terra height encoder    207.48
        Antenna kit     17.63
        GPS     705.00

Electrical System       wiring, switches etc    528.75
        navigation lights       176.25
        strobe  229.13
        landing light   0.00
        intercom        30.55

Finish  paint   587.50
        paint labor     2,750.00
        interior trim   587.50

Trailer         1,568.63

workshop rent   12 mths 3,938.76

        Total:  42,355.69
my labor cost   1000 hrs        10,000.00

        Minimum Realistic Sale Price    52,355.69

The Practical House Company Ltd
Apt 3, 412 Ormeau Road, BELFAST,
Northern Ireland, BT7 3HY

"Super-insulated houses"