First time builders' needs

Subject: First time builders' needs
From: Dale Reid <reiddl@UWEC.EDU>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 1995 21:25:17
First, an apology to all for the problems I had (and caused) to those with
either a fee-per-message or those who did not have unrestricted access to
these messages.  My knowlege of computers and the intricacies of the
listserver environment lead to this.  There is a lot below the surface that
many of use neophytes don't know about.

Anyway. I started with a somewhat lengthy message about the beginner
choosing the Europa as their first project. I base this on helping and
observing a friend who has just embarked on this journey.  He's no idiot.
He is a retired fellow with lots of experience around aircraft(he rebuilt
---From the ground up an Aeronca Cheif), does lots of work (up to the legal
limit) on a Mooney 201, and has extensive experience with auto repair.  Thus
he is more likely to try something than the majority of us who have less
experience than he does.  Yet Europa's manual that arrived could be best
described, in his own words as "horse--it" for a first timer.

I hear you now, and yes, it would be nice if an experienced composite
builder lived just down the street, and had all the time in the world to
help with the first few layups.  Europa is advertising that this kit can be
safely built by a first  timer, so therefore they should expect some
non-experienced people to apply.  Their manual fails miserably in basic
information, and further does NOT recommend any texts or instructional tapes
in the basics.  I think this is a downfall that first-timers should be aware
of at the outset.  I agree that there is no reason to re-invent the wheel,
but for someone in North Dakota, or the wilds of Wiscosnin, there may not be
some experienced Elmer right at hand to guide the first formative steps,
ensuring a safely and strongly built plane.

But, not all is lost; if you ARE a first timer and have a bunch of good
tapes or manuals(let me know, please) great. If not, there is an excellent
manual that I hope is available for you.  We received a copy from an
experienced builder, who now is connected with the USA operation of europa,
so there may be sources.

I am speaking about the "Moldless composite homebuilt sandwich aircraft
construction" manual 2nd edition, september 1980 from Rutan Aircraft
Factory, copyright 1978.  This is an oddly sized ( 11 x 17 inch) manual with
home done drawings and some photos.  This was done before word processors,
clip art and
scanners.  To put it mildly, this is what everyone should read a month
before the kit arrives.  The epitome of a good book or text is to teach the
why, and therefore lead to knowlegde.  The technique is discussed here, but
also skillfully woven into it is the "why" of a process. Rather than just
dumbly doing step after step, I think this can give the comfort factor
needed to expand one's building ability safely.

I know that without a kit, Europa has no sales.  But without a good text or
intro, or a good learning tape, there will be a lot of frustrated people
who've just plunked down a few grand and then began to wonder if they made a
major mistake.  I figure that having such a manual as described above and
taking the time to read it through completely a couple of times before the
kit arrives, would save at least a week's time, and the expense of ordering
a new surface core.

So, two things from this lengthy posting....First, Europa get off your duffs
as far as the paperwork is concerned and either send along a copy of this or
a similar manual, or give a reference to *something* to read.  As the buyer
if he is a first time composite builder, and if so, say that the kit is on
the way, but go do this first.

Second, take heart all you first timers without a closeby helpful hand.  An
hour or two with a good introductory discussion will give a lot of confidence.

As a final note, while at Oshkosh the inadequacies of the present manual
were raised to one of the builders there.  Even though he had experience,
when certain questions about the construction were raised, even THEY
couldn't easily find the answer although they knew it was in there somewhere.

Book (and manual) publishing is  neither cheap nor easy.  But it would
behove a company that is sitting on potentially the biggest thing since
Rutan to make everyone seem at easy when the first glas is cut.
Dale