Europa questions, of course!

Subject: Europa questions, of course!
From: Marc LeFevre <marcl@hpbs2412.boi.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 13:54:11
Most of the postings I've seen so far have been in regards to building
the plane.  I, however, have a question about flying it.

I'm considering the Europa among others and have just finished watching
the tape and reading the information packet.  I'm wondering what crosswind
landing technique one would use.  Is is possible to use partial flaps?
With the monowheel design, can the plane be landed in a crab?
I'm very impressed with the design and what the video offers but I have
the following reservations:

1) I have to travel all the way across the US to test fly the plane.
   (I'm spoiled by the fact that we have a large percentage of the kitplane
    manufacturers here in the Northwest; I live in Boise, Idaho.)

2) The engine of choice is nearly as expensive (on a $/HP basis) as the
   Lycomings and Continentals.

3) I'm wondering if I'd prefer a conventional tailwheel configuration for
   landing on rough strips.  Although, I might find that I'd easily
   adapt to the monowheel configuration.

4) I'm not sure I believe that the bumps and curves in the molded dash
   are an improvement over the more conventional (flat) designs.

I would love to hear from anyone who has asked the same questions and
come up with some answers.  Also, does anyone know what the "real" lead
times to get a kit are these days?

Happy to be involved with you Europa fans,
Marc LeFevre
Hewlett Packard
Storage Systems Division
Boise, Idaho   USA