First time builders

Subject: First time builders
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 1995 16:49:52
>> Do you have an EAA tape or similar hand
holding primer for us firsttimers?  Dale<<
Hi Dale, sorry if  I sound too criptic. To be honest I find the manual a bit
hard to follow at times. Bear in mind though that I don't use it the same as a
first timer. My problem is finding that little dimension or angle or whatever.
know it's there somewhere but it never seems to be in a logical place. IOW a
straight step by step recipe book is no good to me unless it has a proper index.
Too many steps to remember where they are.
There are some excellent videos. The Berkut manual for one is nearly all video.
I believe EAA has one probably called " moldless composite consruction" or
similar.
What I do to help the first timers I know is do the first layup with them. Then
they have a standard to aim for and a good idea of the techniques. If you can
find someone who has built a composite airplane, or a Tech Councillor even
better, he is your man.
One other idea that may help. make a flat layup on waxed flat surface, metal or
whatever, 6 layers of BID. about 12.5 by 18 inches. Trim it exactly to 10" by
16" and weigh it. About 10.5 ounces is the minimum without air voids. 12.5 is
too much resin. Later you will find that you can bond two pieces of 1*1 wood
strip to the long edges and you have a perfect sanding spline that will take a
full sheet of paper. Use it on the curved flying surfaces when you get to
profiling.
BTW never use a paint brush except for awkward layups like trailing edge close
outs. The best tool is one of Aircraft Spruce's rubber sqeegees.
Trailing edges I always do flat first on cling film, food wrap, then carry onto
the part and work into place before removing the film. Helps to keep all the
fibres straight. Remember, a wavy piece of string won't withstand compression.

Graham