Europa-List: Cause of Engine stoppage

Subject: Europa-List: Cause of Engine stoppage
From: Fred Klein <freddythek10@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 15:50:45
Gents,

As previously reported, on 13 April I stuffed N194XS in some trees,
landing short as it were, following an engine stoppage while in the
landing pattern at my local airport.

I believe I have now determined the cause of the stoppage of the engine,
a MPEFI'ed Subaru derivative, and have just now sent an addendum to my
Pilot / Operator Aircraft Accident Report to the NTSB as follows:

"After installing a new propeller, I attempted a restart of my engine a
few moments ago.

"Without hesitation, as I=99ve anticipated, the engine fired up
immediately.

"Recall that I=99ve postulated that I=99d inadvertently
closed one (or two) of the rocker switches controlling the ECU, the
ignition coils, or fuel igniters when either (1) securing the LG in the
down and locked position, or (2) with my left hand on the control stick,
moving to full-forward stick position to counter the nose-high attitude
resulting from the lowering of the flaps(flaps and LG being
interconnected)...

"With the aircraft fuselage on its trailer (sans wings) with the LG
down, I have not been able to simulate lowering the flaps & LG. However,
when gripping the control stick and moving it to a full-forward stick
position, it is possible to close the rocker switch controlling the
ECUan action which results in an immediate engine stoppage.

'It=99s my opinion that this is what occurred back on April
13th.=9D

While I suffered no injuries during my =9Clanding=9D(
nor did I hit a building or any hikers in the woods)without
thinking and without realizing how high I was above the groundwhi
le exiting the aircraft I fell about 12 feet on my back resulting in a
compression fracture which has me hobbling aboutprognosis is
for a full recoverysomething I=99m quite ready for.

The damage to Miz Europa appears to be superficial and localized.

Fred
A-194