Re: Europa-List: LED lights intercom interference - Ferrite needed?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: LED lights intercom interference - Ferrite needed?
From: Alan Burrill <alanb@dpy01.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 08:30:17

Sounds like youve disturbed something in installing the new wiring.

First thing I would check is that everything is earthed to a common Earth Bus
and
that all the connections are tight.

How are you powering the new LED? some converters that drop the 12V to LED
voltages,
1.2 - 1.4 volt, produce noise from a switching circuit. does the noise stop
if you pull the LED breaker?

Alan

> On 28 Oct 2018, at 21:43, William Bliss <william@wbliss.co.uk> wrote:
>

> Hi all
>
> I have installed bright LED's into the cowling for improved visual
> conspicuity.
When the engine is not running I now have audible breakthrough white noise
through the headsets in time with the Skyflash strobe light (which is mounted
on the tail). I have had no problems with the strobe system up until now. While
flying the white noise was continuous but I was able to partially stop it by
altering the intercom squelch. I then found I had no interference on one
frequency
but still had lots on another frequency. Radio communications do not seem
to be affected.  The LED and Strobe circuits run off separate contact breaker
switches. Radio and Transponder are Trig which work ok up to now.

> There is no high frequency noise suppresion in the LED wiring. I will try
> running
the power cable through a ferrite ring close to the LED unit. Any suggestions?