Re: Europa-List: GPS antenna cable length

Subject: Re: Europa-List: GPS antenna cable length
From: Alan Burrill <alanb@dpy01.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2018 15:59:22

Before you cut anything try it in your new position and ensure it has the
desired
improvement.

If you can terminate with the correct, crimped connector, then you wont
introduce
any additional impedance change or effects and it will reduce the amount of
cable clutter behind the panel, it can become a bit of a nightmare with some
devices.

If you cannot terminate with the right tools for the job, I suggest leave alone
and loosely coil the cable, dont crush or kink the coax as that will change the
impedance.

Thats what I would do.

Alan

> On 17 Mar 2018, at 13:55, Remi Guerner <air.guerner@orange.fr> wrote:
>

> This is a question for avionics gurus. After one full year of good service, my
G5 EFIS with its enabled internal GPS antenna started to display wrong attitude
information. After talking to the G3X team at Garmin, a software update fixed
the issue, but after reviewing the recorded data of one of my flights, they
came back to me and suggested I install an external antenna to improve the GPS
reception. So I purchased a GA26C antenna (picture attached). The antenna comes
ready for use with an 8 ft cable and BNC connector. I need only 2 ft to install
the antenna on top of the instrument panel, therefore my questions: performance
wise, is there an inconvenience to install the antenna as it is and attach
the loops of extra cable length together? Is it worth cutting the extra
length and install a new BNC connector? Would that reduce possible losses and/or
susceptibility to electromagnetic interferences ?