Re: Europa-List: GPS antenna cable length

Subject: Re: Europa-List: GPS antenna cable length
From: GTH <gilles.thesee@free.fr>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2018 16:53:28
/Le 17/03/2018  14:55, Remi Guerner a crit://
/
> /G5 EFIS with its enabled internal GPS antenna started to display wrong
> attitude information. After talking to the G3X team at Garmin, a
> software update fixed the issue, but after reviewing the recorded data
> of one of my flights, they came back to me and suggested I install an
> external antenna to improve the GPS reception. So I purchased a GA26C
> antenna (picture attached). The antenna comes ready for use with an 8
> ft cable and BNC connector. I need only 2 ft to install the antenna on
> top of the instrument panel, therefore my questions: performance wise,
> is there an inconvenience to install the antenna as it is and attach
> the loops of extra cable length together? Is it worth cutting the
> extra length and install a new BNC connector? Would that reduce
> possible losses and/or susceptibility to electromagnetic interferences /?
Hi Remi,

Your question seems to imply that you are using a Garmin G5 unit.
Are you aware of this observations on the A&S Questions and Answers
about this antenna model ?
> /*Can the GA-26C be used as a remote antenna for the Garmin G5? *
> No, for the Garmin G5, you will need the GA 35 WAAS GPS. /

That being said, how about first trying an antenna as-is before
undertaking any surgery on the coax ?

--
Amicalement,
Gilles