Re: Europa-List: Syndicate spreadsheets ???

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Syndicate spreadsheets ???
From: William Daniell <wdaniell.longport@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 12:39:08
I would sugfest looking at google sheets/forms....free too.
Will

On 2017-09-13, at 10:27, rainbow462 <jeremy.hoyland@pepsico.com> wrote:

> Just setting up a new 3 person syndicate on a Europa and I am treasurer.
>
> I can set something up myself from scratch but just wanted to see if
anyone has a spreadsheet template they can share with me to start me off or
views on the best ways to manage wet/dry fixed/variable payments.

Jeremy - I applaud your preference to avoid re-inventing the wheel, but you
might want to consider options other than spreadsheets.

As a long-time user of database management programs, my own instinct would
be not to even try to set up this sort of thing in a spreadsheet. Many
years ago I used to use spreadsheets (anyone remember DynaCalc or MS
MultiPlan?) for lists and financial work, but always found their
presentation and printing capabilities very limited.

A database manager will give you much more flexibility and potential for
future requirements (at some stage some is bound to say =9Cwouldn
=99t it be
nice if we could just . . .=9D). Of course, if you have tried program
ming MS
Access, that may have put you off the whole idea of using a database
manager, but there are other database managers with a much friendlier
attitude to humans! I admit to being very biassed as I have been using
FileMaker Pro for about 30 years with great enjoyment and productivity and
thus strongly recommend it, but there are other choices such as Panorama,
4D, etc. If you want to pick my brains about the whole concept, please
contact me direct rather than on the Matronics list.

Alternatively, there are browser-based group ownership systems available
online. I have had some experience, as a flying club member (rather than
administrator), of Goboko:

https://www.goboko.com

but as far as I can see it focusses mainly on the booking rather than the
financial side of things. It now has a phone app as well as the original
web browser interface.

You might also consider something like Splitwise for iOS which is a
general-purpose multi-person expenses sharing app. I would guess that there
are more like this for both iOS & Android.

I feel that there should be something ready-made for the purpose, which
would allow all group users to enter their actions (flight time, fuel
uplift, landing fees, spares bought, etc) from their own location at any
time, and also allow the treasurer to manage monthly subs and all other
transactions for the group as a whole. However, after a few quick online
searches I have failed to find anything really appropriate, so maybe there
is a niche waiting to be filled!

in friendship

Rowland