Re: Europa-List: Syndicate spreadsheets ???

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Syndicate spreadsheets ???
From: Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 16:35:06

On 2017-09-13, at 10:27, rainbow462 <jeremy.hoyland@pepsico.com> wrote:

> Just setting up a new 3 person syndicate on a Europa and I am treasurer.
>
> I can set something up myself from scratch but just wanted to see if anyone
> has
a spreadsheet template they can share with me to start me off or views on the
best ways to manage wet/dry fixed/variable payments.

Jeremy - I applaud your preference to avoid re-inventing the wheel, but you
might
want to consider options other than spreadsheets.

As a long-time user of database management programs, my own instinct would be
not
to even try to set up this sort of thing in a spreadsheet. Many years ago I
used to use spreadsheets (anyone remember DynaCalc or MS MultiPlan?) for lists
and financial work, but always found their presentation and printing
capabilities
very limited.

A database manager will give you much more flexibility and potential for future
requirements (at some stage some is bound to say wouldnt it be nice if we could
just . . .). Of course, if you have tried programming MS Access, that may have
put you off the whole idea of using a database manager, but there are other
database managers with a much friendlier attitude to humans! I admit to being
very biassed as I have been using FileMaker Pro for about 30 years with great
enjoyment and productivity and thus strongly recommend it, but there are other
choices such as Panorama, 4D, etc. If you want to pick my brains about the
whole concept, please contact me direct rather than on the Matronics list.

Alternatively, there are browser-based group ownership systems available online.
I have had some experience, as a flying club member (rather than administrator),
of Goboko:

https://www.goboko.com

but as far as I can see it focusses mainly on the booking rather than the
financial
side of things. It now has a phone app as well as the original web browser
interface.

You might also consider something like Splitwise for iOS which is a
general-purpose
multi-person expenses sharing app. I would guess that there are more like
this for both iOS & Android.

I feel that there should be something ready-made for the purpose, which would
allow
all group users to enter their actions (flight time, fuel uplift, landing
fees, spares bought, etc) from their own location at any time, and also allow
the treasurer to manage monthly subs and all other transactions for the group
as a whole. However, after a few quick online searches I have failed to find
anything really appropriate, so maybe there is a niche waiting to be filled!

in friendship

Rowland