Europa-List: Re: Dynon Pitot/AOA

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Dynon Pitot/AOA
From: John Wighton <john@wighton.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 01:13:59

I was about to post a similar post myself.  The Dynon AoA/pitot is already
fitted
to many aircraft but there is no Europa specific Mod which has been accepted
by the LAA.  I realise this is not required outside the UK but the acceptance
process considers all of the aerodynamic, structural and performance issues
and therefore is a good place for others to start.

I have already advised an owner that the Dynon recommendation for the position
of the AoA probe/pitot may not be best for the Europa.  The existing
pitot/static
is >50% aft chord and has around 7in offset from the lower aerofoil surface.
As there is an existing facility to attach the standard pitot/probe and access
the static lines l figure this may be a good place to install the Dynon.

The function/calibration as an AoA needs to be assessed.  It is not intended to
be the primary means of stall warning, it being a backup to the stall strip or
buzzer already mandated by the LAA.

If there are any Europa owners/operators on the forum who currently have the
Dynon
AoA/pitot system installed can they please send me an email (to john.wighton
@ ecoflight.co.uk).  This is especially the case for UK based operators
(or other nations who use LAA Engineering approvals as a baseline) as they are
most likely operating with unapproved equipment. All communications will be
treated
as confidential)

Another challenge is to get the required power out to the heated pitot.  This is
relevant for Europa owners who are considering adapting their aircraft for UK
IFR operation under the LAA scheme.

The static port locations could be as standard (as Martin is proposing) - l
understand
that Andy Draper has recommended twin fuselage mounted ports on another
Europa which will use the Dynon pitot/AoA.  The location of these is not yet
proven, although Andy has significant experience with Europas and may have seen
a similar installation that worked successfully.

Depending on the response to this request l should be able to share relevant
technical
data with Martin in the USA.

--------
John Wighton