Europa-List: New Panel - Master/Ignition Switches

Subject: Europa-List: New Panel - Master/Ignition Switches
From: italianjon <jon.catilli@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 08:32:44

Hi All,

I am well into designing a new panel, that I will probably ultimately install
over
the winter months.

My thoughts are to place the Master Switch on a keyed 12V switch (One that does
not allow the key to be removed in the "live" position); and then put the
Left/Right
Mags and "Alternator" Relay (i.e. Voltage Regulator disconnection relay)
on to standard pole switches.

The starter circuit would go on a protected push button switch.

Through this process I am wondering why aircraft are wired the way they are. Is
there any reason that the Master Switch is free to be switched on and the
ignition
is keyed?

. I can see the safety aspect of starting the engine, but in my proposal this
would
be covered, by 1) a keyed master switch, and 2) a protected push button switch.

I guess I am asking you all to sanity check the idea, because I am not sure
of/can't
see the negatives myself.

Regards

Jon