Re: Europa-List: Re: Radio & Transponder

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Radio & Transponder
From: dpy01 <alanb@dpy01.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2016 12:28:46

The FASVIG organisation has been gathering data on transponders that support
uncertified
GPS for ADD-B.

Located on the website : http://fasvig.org

It's worth a read before investing in a transponder replacement or upgrade.

Alan
GOBJT

Sent from my iPhone

> On 6 Feb 2016, at 11:27, Pete Lawless <pete@lawless.info> wrote:
>

> There is an issue with Garmin transponders with the extended squitter mod not
accepting data from non certified GPS.  In the case I know the chap spent 900
for an upgrade to his relatively new transponder only to find that it will not
accept data from a 496!

> Certainly worth asking the questions before spending any money.
>
> Pete
> G-RMAC
>
>> On 06/02/16 11:11, Clive Sutton wrote:
>>
>> Hi Bob, there's a link here about converting a GTX327 to a 330ES to enable it
for extended squitter (ADS-B out).  Not cheap - so maybe selling it (in Europe
- the Americans probably won't want it as ADS-B is soon to be mandated there)
and getting an alternative like the Trig unit would seem to be the best option.
It won't surprise me if Garmin withdraw the upgrade to make people buy their
new Xpdrs anyway . . .