Re: Europa-List: Winching attachment points to Tri Gear for Trailering

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Winching attachment points to Tri Gear for Trailering
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 13:24:50
Frans,
I'll look for some pictures.  I don't have them at the home office
today.
I've been too busy to finish the testing and market them.  Sorry, there
will be no plans as this is an across the board wheel pant that can be
applied to any aircraft.
I've been long term testing and have drug them on the pavement, checked
brake clearance problems, brake cable routing, blown tire survivability,
etc. trying to see what will suite all types of fliers, fields etc.  We
are now testing to see how it works on rough fields, determining where
clearance from the tire and ground gives max speed vs max survival on
grass fields.  I do not like negative feedback, and I have a lot of it
---From myself as it took my guys twice as long to install them than it did
for me and my initial set has stress cracks due to pounding on multiple
touch and goes.  Prototype two and three only have about 25 hours on
them in the field.
The wheel pant has an outside, and an inside which must match well, and
a metal and nylon spacers and reinforcements, and be light weight and be
able to take ground punishment without cracks or failure.  The molds
need to be changed to meet our construction needs.  Delicate little doo
dads tend to crack and fail over the long term.  I try to make things
that are  light, well tested, durable, and easy to install.

So just trying to make a buck (or at least break even).  We have to put
the marketing together.  After the elections, my medical tests are
complete, and I clear out some aircraft, I'll pull back a little to cut
the hours down and do more testing.  Then I'll do a new set of molds.
I'm shooting for a complete trigear set of pants and gear legs, with tow
bar for $1000.  That's $20 per hour with it fitted for the Europa.
Right now I don't like the gear leg transition to the fuselage.  Too
fiddley.

So after we get the Jabiru cooling mod article finished,
Do the new cowl for the Rotax,
Finish the new trigear step,
Do more propeller testing,
build two sets of glider wings with mod 78,
and finish two kits, I'll get right on it.

Sorry.  I just don't want to sell the wine before its time.  I have
three sets in test and want to look and see how they do in a real world
environment.  100 hours on them so far, and the third prototype is
holding up well.

Bud