Re: Europa-List: N120ej trails and tribulations

Subject: Re: Europa-List: N120ej trails and tribulations
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 00:19:33
About that Jab cooling.  Europa does not have a firewall forward so I
have been bad and not commented on cooling this engine.

I have found that putting a dam above the cylinder tends to work for the
cylinders forward of the dam, but consider you have reduced the size of
the plenum effectively as the air behind the dam becomes quite stagnant,
may starve the aft cylinders of air.

The object is to get high pressure air to pool above the cylinders and
allow it to pass through the fins in an orderly manner to absorb the
heat.  If the air rushes through the slot, the air won't pick up enough
heat to help cool the cylinders.  Since the heads are square-ish you
have the problem of having horizontal air flow over the heads as well as
vertical.  Also what about the bottom of the heads and cylinders?

Quite some time ago Graham noted that the engine almost needs a set of
horns focusing air down over those square heads.  From that idea and his
work, I put simple metal air guides down through the cylinders as guides
as suggested in the NACA cooling of air cooled engines work done pre and
post WWII.

I sent Rick picks of some of my Jab solutions we perfected in the shop.
We are quite pleased that at least we have made the Jabs flyable.
Prop pitch, carb tuning, intake manifold leaks, inlet size and more
importantly, the mechanical or aerodynamic draw of the cowl exit is
essential to get air through those poor overworked fins.  The poor guys
at Lightning Aircraft opened a huge hole in the bottom with a large
flange, but it slows the plane because of the cooling drag.  Much fine
tuning was required.  But it does cool.  Sonex has also had modest
success with their extensive mods.

Pay attention to your prop.  The torque curve of the Jab falls off
beyond 2750 and that is where the heat starts to build.  Pete at Jabiru
USA likes to run his engines at 2900 which needs a 62 inch prop and a
bit of carb tuning, but it gives Pete descent cooling.  In the Jabiru
aircraft, with its large suction hole in the bottom, it does allow it to
cool at steady cruise.  I prefer the larger diameter 64 inch, but have a
bit of an issue above 2750 RPM.

We need to get away from the two existing cowls and probably work a 5
inch diameter type inlet (just look at the new Zenith huge holes) and
control the air carefully over the square heads.  As Rick and others
have found, the oil coolers need to be more like a certified type (I
suggest the 8 bar) and of course sealed well with a guided exit.  Guide
the air over the fins and don't overcool those front cylinders in cruise
or on descent.

I know I should do an article about some of the solutions that we have
confirmed work, but there is just not enough hours in the day.

Keep plugging away guys, you're on the right track.

Just my two cents....

Regards,
Bud Yerly
Custom Flight Creations, Inc.