Europa-List: Rotax 914 - how to avoid an overboost?

Subject: Europa-List: Rotax 914 - how to avoid an overboost?
From: Roland <schmidtroland@web.de>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 22:09:50

Friends,

I had bad luck with my Rotax 914 some weeks ago. The TCU unit had a comoplete
electricity
failure due to a damaged automatic circuit breaker. All normal during
run up - no electricity - no TCU warning lights. Select full T/O-power, suffered
an overboost, cracked crankcase  - 10k Euro damage - ouch!

If the TCU-lights don't illuminate by switching the master on - okay, then you
have a chance to be aware of the dawning danger. At any other time no chance at
all from my point of view.

Do I get something wrong here or is it a design fault of the Rotax? Argument of
sufficient power all time not applicable due to no power at all with cracked
crankcase - lucky me I was not airborne yet....

Any comments most welcome.

Grounded Roland

PH-ZTI
XS Trigear 914