Re: Europa-List: Pitot Static

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Pitot Static
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 00:10:58
Jim,
Were you having trouble with the single pitot head on your wings
readings?  Seemed OK when we flew, why not just follow suit.  We use the
Gretz mount here and that puts the heated Angus type tube about 5.5
inches below which is out of the turbulent layer and if placed near the
trailing edge spar is nearly perfectly equal to the flow to the flight
path.  If you place the tube at two inches I'm afraid that turbulence
may give you some poor readings.

George Reed has the only Dynon Tube I've installed placed per their
instructions within 10 inches of the leading edge if memory serves.  As
you know the Dynon also has a "AOA" input and if I recall it was
required to be at least 6 inches below the wing which gave good A/S at
cruise, adequate low speed down to 70 but kind of fell off too slow
starting at 60 Knots.  However the current XS and MG wing positions
using any tube seem to work well averaging within about 3 knots at low
speed and dead on at cruise.

Regards,
Bud