Re: Europa-List: Engine Hoods

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Engine Hoods
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 18:13:10
Karl,
Well put, but with my electric screw gun (non-environmentally correct as
it is not solar) it only takes two minutes.
To others:
If I drop a screw or it gets muggered up, I go to the bag and get
another.  Can't do that with cam locks, as the plane requires different
sizes, but they serve their purpose.  I have done it both ways, and I
like it simple with screws.
If you want truly custom, which is sometimes what we get to do here, get
complex and wonderful.
Making a car hood to hold shape and the whole cowl only weighing 10
pounds is quite a task.  (OK, my painter puts on a lot of paint so it's
15.)  A proper car type hood and cowl stiff enough to do the job is
going to be a bit on the cheeky side, but frankly the exercise will
consume a lot of time.  But if you have plenty of time, go ahead, just
make sure it meets the structural requirements..  As for hinges, if you
move the intakes and get the sides right you can rework the cowl and
make it happen, but again, the builder will be adding much time for
little convenience.  Hinges make a nice clean side to the cowl.  But
after a few years, the tinnermans start to wear into the paint, and the
rivets in the hinges start to wiggle a bit so it is six of one and half
dozen of the other.

As far as access, or even heat dissipation, make the two access holes
for the cooling and oil,  larger and  set the geometry so when opened
they let the heat out after landing so you can check under the hood
easily after a sip of gas and a slug of water while checking the
weather, NOTAMS and filing.  Then it is a warm preflight and takeoff
verses a hot one...

Just trying to keep it simple.
Remember light airplanes bounce, heavy ones crash.
Bud