Re: Europa-List: Why do you not want to wheel land a monowheel?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Why do you not want to wheel land a monowheel?
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 10:49:46
Ron,
The only guy I have seen do it is Ken Carpenter, and I believe he said,
"Not for the beginner".

The main wheel is set 5-6 inches ahead of where  the normal tail dragger
like a Champ is (axel on the leading edge of the MAC).  This position is
due to fitting the retractable wheel into the fuselage.  This geometry
means that the slightest vertical component to your touchdown will cause
the nose to rise abruptly.  Not really a bounce but a pitch up caused by
the forward gear and the moment arm from the gear to the center of
gravity.  Stab authority is decreased below 50 KIAS as the downwash of
the wing and flaps hits the concrete and flattens out which is
exacerbated by how close to the ground the plane is.  This downwash
change unloads the stab and results in an uncomfortable pitch down just
before touchdown exacerbating the problem.  The low speed requires
larger uncomfortable control inputs, which leads to under or even over
control.  So as the nose pitches down, (remembering that expensive prop)
just as you touch, the fuselage momentum forces the nose up.  The pitch
changes cause P factor changes which causes a yaw which drops a wing
which causes an outrigger to touch which ends up in a go around
(hopefully) or ground loop (typical).  The U-2 has a similar problem.  I
believe the early USAF military Pilatus PC 6 was tough to wheel land
with a full load, but tail changes and of course it's very high wing
make it acceptable.

Keep it straight.  Plant the tail wheel first.  Keep the stick back and
don't relax until in the chocks.

Bud

  Why do you not want to wheel land a monowheel?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__QKkLBwIoQ&feature=related<http://www
.youtube.com/watch?v=__QKkLBwIoQ&feature=related>

  Ron Parigoris

www.aeroelectric.com<http://www.aeroelectric.com/>
www.buildersbooks.com<http://www.buildersbooks.com/>
www.homebuilthelp.com<http://www.homebuilthelp.com/>