RE: Europa-List: Europas with no hanger....

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Europas with no hanger....
From: willie harrison <willie.harrison@tinyonline.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 20:23:25

Terry

I kept my trigear in the open for the first winter I had it and it was a
nightmare. Every time the wind changed direction I'd have to sprint down
to the airfield to turn the beast around. If you really can't avoid it
being in the open then I'd advise the following:

Park in the lee of a hanger or other structure if possible.

Lash/lock all the controls very well. Everything is vulnerable when the
control surfaces are flapping in a tail wind, especially the elevator
torque tube.

Find some way of tying down the nose, tail and both wings. Europas are
much lighter than just about anything you'll see parked outside and it
doesn't take too much of a gust for them to "take off". Nose and tail
are not too hard. If I were doing it again I think I'd make up some
canvas socks to go over the wing tips to attach a tie down to. By
contrast, the PA28 I had a part share in lived outside for 10 years with
simple tie downs and we had no problems even in severe gale force winds
- one advantage of an aircraft built like a brick sh*t house.

Cover the elevator pip pin holes so they don't fill with rain water and
cause crevice corrosion to the torque tube.

Cover the canopy, fuel filler and engine cowlings with a rain proof
cover to keep out water and wildlife.

Be ready for electrical gremlins, especially radios, in very wet
weather.

Presumably you'll keep any valuables out of sight or out of the
aircraft.

Good luck finding somewhere to put it out of the weather.

Willie Harrison

G-BZNY