RE: Fuel Tank shape

Subject: RE: Fuel Tank shape
From: Nick Hammond <nick.hammond@saabsystems.com.au>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 09:43:22
Graham,

Wouldn't the slight tank pressure head caused by the vent affect in-flight
readings?

Nick Hammond

My choice of fuel contents gauge would now be a pressure sensor type. Non
invasive, simply connect the sensor to either a drain connection or even
the sight gauge.
We tried a capacitance type but it was not very reliable, any water/
condensation caused it to short out (the HF sensing signal) and read full
scale, changes in fuel density caused false readings so we never really
trusted it.

Tony K has developed a good one, using bar graph LED display, I am also
working on the same type of device (and loosely with him) . By the time you
are ready to use one it will certainly be available.

Graham