Re: AOA Indicator

Subject: Re: AOA Indicator
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 23:49:17
> re:  your AOA meter.

> and now I hear that Europa have developed their own, including
> electronic tweaking of > the warn point...and the bits are dirt > cheap.

Hi, Miles --

Really?  Any idea of when available?  Most
electronic devices are made from dirt cheap bits;
dirt cheap to us also, I hope!

> I was (and maybe will) considering a version with an array of
> pressure ports (perhaps > 10) in a spiral around the LE - each one > driving
a dedicated LED on the display. A bit stone age, but should > be fairly easy to
calibrate and build.  By calibrate, I mean I'm
> only interested in aircraft referenced points - stall, stall +5,
> best rate or angle of climb etc - not real AOA.

Sounds like an interesting approach also.  One
purveyor of an AOA does use two ports at the LE,
and interprets the differential pressure.  Reading
actual AOA is probably not as critical on a
Europa, so any stall warning technology may be
sufficient.  While stall speed varies with weight,
the difference between solo vs. gross weight is
not as wide a spread as on, say, a 6-place
Saratoga.

Regards,
Fred Fillinger, A063