Re: Flying: Fuel consumption in 'Classic' with Rotax 912.

Subject: Re: Flying: Fuel consumption in 'Classic' with Rotax 912.
From: Wilksch Airmotive <mark@wilksch.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 21:32:21
Hi Duncan

No, I have my diesel hat OFF now, believe me.

The point I would like to make is that while electronic injection is
technically feasible, the cost of providing the required redundancy and
continuing airworthiness are probably not compatible with a small commercial
gasoline engine.  I'm sure Rotax agree with me and that's why we haven't
seen an injected 91X yet.  As a one-off with the right continuing TLC from a
suitably qualified PFA member (like you) - no problem.   The problem comes
in trying to get to a commercial engine to sell to all takers, that's a
different story.

The system I am talking about is nothing to do with our diesel.   It is part
of a gasoline engine project which was cancelled to allow resources to focus
on the CITEC family.  It is can be a 100% mechanical system but can also
have the option of electronic trimming for full AFR control.  Whether the
market size can justify the required remaining development is the big
question.

I would be interested to hear your views.  Good luck with the BM conversion!

Regards........MARK WILKSCH