Re: Flying: Fuel consumption in 'Classic' with Rotax 912.

Subject: Re: Flying: Fuel consumption in 'Classic' with Rotax 912.
From: Wilksch Airmotive <mark@wilksch.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 22:35:16
Dear wiggly-amps technofiles

Re EFI for GA:

I would assert that the failure rate of the whole system ie black box,
looms, power source etc is significantly worse than duel mag systems.  The
duel mag always wins because it is positively checked at every flight so we
have a dual system with a relatively low MTBF requirement.

Since we can't compete with the dual mag system we need to ask what is the
real reliability requirement.  A good benchmark is the probability that the
pilot will spontaneously drop dead at the controls.   My friends in the CAA
tell that this is about 1 in 1000000 per flying hour.  My anecdotal
experience with cars with black boxes tells me that EFI is not that
reliable, particularly if subjected to a relatively low level of TLC.

Making an EFI duel channel with genuine redundancy is not so easy as it
first appears (as we found at Cosworth).  In any case times sequential
injection is completely unnecessary for an aircraft engine which spends most
of its life running pseudo-steady state.

This whole area is under continuing discussion within a working group in the
JAA so clearer (and I believe sensible) guidelines will emerge.  We then
need viable technical solutions to emerge!

Regards......MARK WILKSCH