Re: Points to ponder

Subject: Re: Points to ponder
From: Steve G. <gopack@sprintmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 15:59:32

Peter S. Lert wrote:

> It'll be years before I finish my Europa, and I have no particular
> intention of trailering it.  This, however, is primarily because outside
> tiedown space in the USA is cheap and readily available--and so are used
> 20-foot marine shipping containers.  A coat of reflective white paint,
> perhaps a solar-powered fan for ventilation, and voila`!--an instant
> hangar, and a pretty bulletproof one, at that.

Is the above structure something that your local airport authority allows,
or is this strictly for private field storage?.  I'm quite curious because
after reading Graham's excellent reply, I've realized that since I have a
hard time getting my Ford Escort in and out of my sloping driveway without
banging a tire on the curb (it empties out perpendicularly to a fairly
narrow alleyway, curbed the entire length except for other driveways) I may
be S O L at the prospect of home hangering. <sniff>

> One point worth noting: if you intend any metal-to-metal contact with
> aircraft mounting components (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it
> gives you a _very_ rigid way of securing things), make the trailer bits
> out of something a little softer than the airplane bits!

Now that's a point!  So obvious I never would have thought of it.

Keep those ideas coming, all

Steve Genotte