Europa-List: Re: Arplast Propeller problems

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Arplast Propeller problems
From: BobD <rjdawson14@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 16:01:32

Further to my previous post concerning the Arplast PV50 Propeller and
Controller.
I was advised to contact Mark Burton of Smart Avionics to learn of a small
hardware alteration that had been found to extend the life of the Electric
Motor.
With his permission, I have copied his response below.

"What I have recommended in the past is to add a 2 ohm resistor into the
wire from the the controller to the PV-50 motor to limit the current
surge when the controller starts the motor moving which should reduce
the chance of the motor burning out. The easiest place to install the
resistor is near the bracket on the back of the gearbox as you show in
the photo. Here's a link to a suitable resistor.

https://uk.farnell.com/arcol/hs10-2r-f/resistor-wirewound-2r-1-solder/dp/2678652?st=hs10

I like this type of resistor as it is very sturdy and the unlikely to
fail. A lot of resistors have relatively feeble wires. Mounting is not
critical at all.

It's worth noting that Arplast themselves recommended fitting a
resistor after they became aware that I was advocating doing that."

--------
Bob Dawson
Europa XS TG || 912 ULS || G-NHRJ || Dynon Skyview || PilotAware || SmartAss3

Read this topic online here: