Re: Europa-List: What did you do with your Europa this week 5/2 - 5/9

Subject: Re: Europa-List: What did you do with your Europa this week 5/2 - 5/9
From: Ken Atkinson <kennethatkinson178@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 22:22:39

Hi all, Last week we flew from Cark to Sleap , no UL91 but some tasty
aerobatic machinery about. Then onto Haverfordwest, a beautiful
airfield, for a good meal and 27L of 100LL. Then ,Northwards along the
coast to Caernarfon, another very welcoming airfield and finally back
home to Cark.

This flight was particularly welcome after several months of frustrating
problems with the Rotax. I had been having increasing difficulty
starting. Tried many cures,i.e. preheating,several carburettor
overhauls, new floats, gearbox slipper clutch overhaul,new Ignitech
ignition system(excellent!),trigger gaps,resistances,ignition leads ,
coils ,new plugs,tighter gaps. Simon at Eccleston Aviation even lent me
some spare carburettors all to no avail until he suggested I tried
removing the propeller? The Rotax started and run perfectly. Warning
here the engine should only be run at low revs! Simon then told me that
the starter sprag clutch needed replacing. Engine out and
Simon,graciously, fitted me into his busy schedule and replaced the
offending parts. After some test flights all seemed perfect again.

I suspect that the original starting problems may have been caused by a
sinking carburettor float, then continually trying to start, with some
kickback, wearing the sprag clutch?

The engine now starts instantly with the Ignitech 12Volt at startup.

I am now looking forward to some pleasant trips.

Ken. Kit 19 G-CEKV 650 hours

On 03/05/2022 15:54, h&amp;jeuropa wrote:

> Starting thread for this week.
>
> Not much accomplished on condition inspection last week because of weather and
other obligations.  Weather looks better this week.