Europa-List: Strobes

Subject: Europa-List: Strobes
From: Mike Wylde <mike@wylde.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 11:38:40
Hi all, I've been lurking for a while, now my first post looking for advice
please.
I've recently bought a nearly finished (yes, it is, really!) XS trigear
with a 912ULS.
I'd like to fit strobes on top and bottom of the fus. Clearly each needs a
hemispherical (or doughnut) light pattern, but I want streamlined
teardrops, not round beacons. I can find 3 possibles.
Only one is LED. That's the Kuntzleman (badged Skyflash in the UK by
Airworld/Sandalwood). https://www.kestrobes.com/all-led-systems/ Looking at
the distribution of LEDs in it, I suspect a lot of the flash would go
vertically and the important doughnut distribution would be less bright. Of
course it's really meant for wingtip mounting. Anyone tried it please?
Second possibility is the Kuntzleman /Skyflash discharge tube type. I
reckon that will give a better distribution as the tube is exposed and non
directional. https://www.kestrobes.com/double-dual-magnum/ Anyone know how
many joules it is per flash please? I've asked but Mr K wouldn't give me a
number.
Third possibility is the similar MicroAvionics discharge tube type (UK
produced). Like the Kuntzleman it gives you a double flash alternating.
Each individual flash is 25 joules i.e 50 joules per double flash cycle per
lamp. It's pretty bright, I suspect the K is lower power.
https://www.microavionics.com/twin-head-high-power-strobe.html
I would have preferred LED but I think it may be less effective.
The K flash tube one has the slight advantage of being a LAA standard mod
needing no further approval.
The MicroAvionics may be the best, I've used one, I'm impressed with its
output, but it means getting approval.
I'm in a quandary! All advice and experience gratefully received, apologies
for the rather long post.
Mike