Re: Europa-List: Re: Aluminium Elbow

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Aluminium Elbow
From: Jon Smith <jonsmitheuropa@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2018 23:57:22
Hi Brian,  many thanks for your time and effort on our behalf.   Time to get
 the toolbox out!
Cheers, Jon

> On 4 Feb 2018, at 09:24, Brian Davies <brian.davies44@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The LAA have issued LAA Standard Mod 14809 to permit the use of an alumini
um elbow with a bend angle of between 45 degrees and 60 degrees to suit indi
vidual aircraft as there is build variation that can affect this angle.  As P
rofuel fuel proof hose is not immediately available the mod also permits the
 continued use of lengths of the original factory supplied hose, subject to a
n annual inspection.  This mod should permit the return to service of any Eu
ropa with a failed original rubber hose and also enable those of us that hav
e had aluminium elbows fitted for a number of years to record the standard m
od in their inspection logs.

> If you want to fit a Profuel silicone elbow when they become available you
 will have to apply for an individual mod for your aircraft.  Probably the q
uickest way to do this would be for one person to apply for a prototype mod a
nd then others can use the Repeat Mod system.  This works when you are prepa
red to install an identical mod. I am sorry it was not possible to include t
his option in the standard mod as we don=99t have an LAA aircraft with
 one fitted to form the basis of the standard mod.

ver@matronics.com] On Behalf Of davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
> Sent: 01 February 2018 22:30
> To: europa-list@matronics.com
> Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Aluminium Elbow
>

> Roland, That sounds to me to be the way to go if the silicone proves to be
 truly fuel proof and non porous, but it will of course take a long while to
 get that approved by LAA as an alternative mod.

> Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ
>

> On 2018-02-01 20:35, Roland wrote:
>

> Hello,
>
> FWIW I ordered the 60=C3=82=C2=B0 Samco Profuel Silicone hose https://www.
merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/samco-profuel-60-degree-silicone-hose-elbow-pe60

> Normally the legs from the bend measure 102 mm, but I got them to manufact
ure one with 152 mm legs for 67,96 GBP + VAT for me.

> This way I'd only have two connections rather than four. However I underst
and, that the LAA only approves the Mod with the aluminium pipe.